When an individual has been injured as a result of another person’s negligence, recklessness or dangerous disregard for the safety of others, the injured person may be eligible to pursue compensation for his or her injuries. In many cases, an accident victim can seek damages for medical bills, rehabilitation costs, lost wages and future earnings, pain and suffering, as well as other injury-related damages and losses.
If you have suffered serious injuries in a car accident, motorcycle accident or any other type of accident, choosing the right personal injury lawyer could significantly increase your chances of achieving the most positive outcome in your case.
Not all personal injury lawyers are the same. Choosing the wrong lawyer could put your claim at risk. The right personal injury lawyer will be an unrelenting advocate for your rights. A skilled personal injury lawyer can help you prove negligence or fault, providing you with legal counsel to engage in the effort to maximize your compensation and get the justice you rightfully deserve. Not to mention, not choosing the right personal injury attorney could end up being more costly in the long run, so it definitely defeats the point of being frugal.
To help you choose the right personal injury lawyer, take the following seven factors into consideration:
- Experience and resources. A lawyer’s experience is one of the most important factors you need to consider. How long has the lawyer been in practice? What references can he or she provide? You do not want a lawyer you who is unfamiliar with your specific type of case. You want a lawyer who not only has years of personal injury experience, but also someone who has amassed an extensive number of professional resources, such as medical experts and accident investigators who can be accessed to develop your case.
- Previous track record of verdicts and settlements. While experience is essential, you really need a personal injury lawyer who has a proven track record for getting real results. You want a lawyer who will be able to secure a favorable verdict or settlement. Ask to see his or her results from previous cases. Find out if that lawyer has won any cases similar to yours.
- Communication and keeping clients informed. How can you be satisfied with your lawyer’s service if the office staff is rude, your phone calls to go unanswered and you are kept in the dark about your case? You want a lawyer who keeps you informed of your case’s progress, lets you know what is happening and advises you of the options available. Lawyers are often busy, but the right lawyer will take the time to update you, answer any questions you may have and provide you with the service necessary to quell your concerns.
- Familiarity with local courts. You need a lawyer who is familiar with the courts in the area in which your case will be handled. Lawyers may have a better success rate when handling cases in courtrooms where they are familiar with the judge’s procedures, how the court operates and, in some cases, opposing counsel.
- Reputation with insurance companies. You want a lawyer who has a reputation with insurance companies for being an aggressive advocate for victims’ rights. The right lawyer will know how to negotiate with the insurance company to get you the most optimal settlement possible. If the insurance company’s offer is not fair, you need a lawyer who will not hesitate to take your case to court and fight for the verdict you deserve.
- Honesty and trust. You need to be able to trust your lawyer. You are putting your future in his or her hands. Is your lawyer open and upfront about your case? Does he or she let you know about any obstacles you may face, or do you feel you may not be getting the full story? Your goal is to achieve the most optimal outcome for your case, so be wary of false promises and statements that seem too good to be true. They probably are.
- Comfort. How comfortable are you with your lawyer and his or her staff? Personal injury cases can go on for several months in the pursuit of a positive verdict or settlement. You must feel comfortable working with your lawyer and the staff. You need to be confident in your lawyer’s ability to provide you with the compassionate, yet hard-hitting representation you require.
How to Find the Right Personal Injury Lawyer
Finding the right personal injury lawyer can often be done through an initial consultation. Many law firms offer free, no-obligation consultations in which you will be given the opportunity to discuss your case, as well as determine whether the lawyer and law firm are right for you. You are under no obligation to retain his or her services. It is your case and your future on the line, so keep these tips in mind when seeking to find the right personal injury lawyer.